Guest post by Don Green, author of Everything I Know About Success I Learned from Napoleon Hill .
The greatest waste of all is the waste of our own potential mind power. The famous Harvard professor and psychologist William James estimated that the average person uses only 10 percent of his mental power. He has unlimited power yet he uses only about one-tenth of it.
The power to be what you want to be, to get what you desire, and to accomplish whatever it is you are striving for abides within you. You are the one who is responsible for bringing it forth and putting it to work.
You can be whatever you make up your mind to be. Being happy, wealthy, or successful is a product of the mind and its unlimited possibilities.
Within you is this power that, when properly grasped and directed, can lift you out of the rut of mediocrity and place you among the few who make large accomplishments in life. You must learn to use this power and realize that the mind can achieve all things.
If you are to improve your station in life, positive change must take place. Here are five things you need to do:
- Have a desire to improve. You can refer to this as your ultimate goal, your mission, your purpose, or something else, but it must be a burning obsession or passion. It must be so strong that you live it, eat it, go to bed with it, and are consumed by the need to see it materialize.
- Belief is a state of mind that lets you be confi dent that your purpose will come alive. This can be achieved by oftenrepeated affi rmations that make it a part of your subconscious. You should have notes or signs placed where you can see them daily as constant reminders of your purpose.
- You generate actions based on the belief that you can accomplish your purpose in life. Action leads to practice. Perfect practice makes for perfection.
- Feedback is what you get as a result of taking action. If the feedback is negative, such as falling when you are learning to ski, then you should accept it as a lesson, not a failure. The fall just means that you need more practice, maybe with the help of a professional instructor.
- Repetition means doing the action over and over until the right results become a habit.
All wealth depends upon having a clear knowledge that the mind is the creator of wealth. You must control your thoughts if you are to control your circumstances.