For nearly two decades, I worked with top athletes and coaches as an agent in the highly competitive world of professional sports. At that level, everyone has immense talent, so what separates the best from the rest is their mindset. When I shifted careers to start my own company and began traveling the country speaking to top companies and business leaders, I saw firsthand the many parallels between high achievers in business and peak performers in sports.
Here are the five things that peak performers—in every field—have in common:
- They focus on what they can control. The secret to discipline is the ability to focus your energy on the things you can control. Where you choose to invest your energy largely determines your outcome. High achievers stay present.
- They maximize the little moments. Do you have a lottery mindset, that success will be yours as a result of a big moment? It’s much more likely that the next big turning point will be the result of much smaller moments. High achievers seize those little moments to create big outcomes.
- They are coachable. Anyone can become a better listener, learn from feedback, and embrace the success of others. That’s the definition of coachable, and it’s essential to growth.
- They go the extra mile. The athletes I worked with who sustained their success were the ones who consistently worked at their craft beyond what was required. That extra work and preparation fosters confidence. It’s the same in the business world.
- They aren’t afraid to fail. To high achievers, failure is just another form of feedback. As Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest athlete in our lifetime said, “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed.” The best recognize the lessons in failure and become resilient.
Molly Fletcher is a CEO, motivational speaker and author of Fearless at Work.. Hailed as the “female Jerry Maguire” by CNN, she built a successful career as one of the first female sports agents. Today, Molly runs her own company and travels the country as a top motivational speaker, inspiring leaders, teams and organizations to kickstart growth.